How to trust a contractor? Part Two
March 20th, 2012
5 Point Checklist of Compelling Questions to Ask Your Potential Contractor–You Are The Judge
Here is an important list of questions you should have in hand when interviewing your roofing contractor. Yes, I did say interview. If you regard hiring someone to complete your home improvement project as “just getting the job done for the best price,” truly you are looking at this process wrong. Folks who don’t do their homework will end up with more headaches in the end. As cliche as that sounds, it is the truth. Enter the bidding process as if you are the judge and the jury. Compelling questions get compelling answers.
- Please explain your process for replacing my roof?
- What materials do you use in each of these steps? Is this in writing?
- Do you offer Lien Releases from your suppliers?
- Who will monitor the work of the crew assigned to my home? How often?
- What warranties come with your work? What about the roofing materials?
- Does your warranty stay with me or the home?
Ask yourself this…Aside from the product, what exactly do you want from the company you have contacted? Once you determine this part, conducting your research and meeting the contractor will take on new meaning. Going into your “interview” with your contractor with questions will elevate the quality of your time and information you will gather.
For more consumer advice go to the King 5 consumer guru, Get Jesse. Another site that was cited in part one is Washington State Labor and Industry website: www.lni.wa.gov